Monday, August 9, 2010

Pizza night

Pizza and ice cream, huh? You would think I have the palette of a twelve year old. It is in these lovely comfort foods that I feel I can experiment- I can make them from scratch and really know what I want out of the final product. Plus, my favorite part of the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was when she said that Friday nights were always pizza nights at her house. Having that kind of cozy tradition makes life very simple. At the end of a hectic week, at least you already know what you will be having for supper.

Pizza dough is very easy to make- just time consuming. I love the recipe for pizza dough from the Joy of Cooking- which we refer to as 'the joy'. Sauce is equally easy- a large can of whole tomatoes, cooked down and crushed with herbs and garlic. That is it- top with whatever else you dig. The one we made last night has crumbled Twin Oaks soy chorizo, mozzarella and fresh basil. So so so good!


2 comments:

  1. We also had pizza night last night! We used the bread recipe from the Bread in 5 Minutes book, and grilled the pizzas. Loved how that turned out. Somehow there are few things better than a really good pizza. Sorry we didn't have your delicious homemade icecream though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking forward to making a pizza on a grill in the next couple of days. With as much heat as we had in Richmond it will be nice to make it outside the house.

    ReplyDelete