Thursday, September 9, 2010

Photo Essay from International Food Bloggers Conference

A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky enough to attend the International Food Bloggers Conference in Seattle. I was definitely a small fish in that pond, but I loved every minute of it. Since I returned to real life in RVA, I have been thinking a lot about recipe development as well as community efforts and artisan foodstuffs, inspired by the conference. One of the most immediate components I can attend to is photography- so here are some select moments from the conference captured in pictures. Truly, everything was so gorgeous-
Yep, that is me in the foreground. This photo of the main conference room at Theo chocolate was taken by Marie Asselin of Food Nouveau. Check out her lovely blog, with recipes, travel fantasies, and her take on the food at the 2010 IBFC. Swoon.

Every detail of the conference was most civilized, including this tapas party put on by the Secret Sherry Society. How fun are they?

There was always tons of food around- of course. Plates- nay, platters- of chocolate, vats of coffee, a menu read every few hours. I am still thinking about the donuts from Top Pot that came out of these boxes. Well fried, and thus, the best I have ever had. I miss them.

And then, there were the food trucks. Oh my goodness- what fun. Do you see the one on the left dressed like a pig? Guess what they serve...


Lunch on Sunday was provided entirely by these lovelies. And the beer was crafted by Pike Brewing. Their Dry Wit was amazing- hoppy and infused with herbs like lavender and chamomille. Pike also made a Kilt Lifter ale made with a bit of scotch. Brilliant.



Every time I see this photo, I want one.
My favorite truck had falafel- do we even have one of these in Richmond? Anybody want to go in on this idea with me? Beautiful falafel, creamy raita and pickled veggies- I could eat this all day!
My other favorite (I have never been very good at owning superlatives) was the mobile pizza oven. Can you see the flames in the back, and the wood? Amazing pizza- crispy, bubbly crust- Seattle is so lucky.

These food trucks are usually part of a regular street market that goes on every Saturday in the Freemont neighborhood. There were some fruit, veggie and flower vendors there, but I liked photographing the shoes best.



Finally, below is a photo of the building where the magic happened for us that weekend, and where many fine ideas and products emerge every day- the Theo Chocolate factory. I am so enamored of their work (and their fine, fine chocolate) and I can't wait to share with you soon. For now, I can show you this:
Thanks for hosting us, Seattle, and thanks for reading, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like the conference was a ton of fun. We need more food trucks around RVA - especially ones that have falafel!!

    ReplyDelete