Sunday, November 29, 2009

Brown Butter Ice Cream

All righty, now. We are in the season of eating, even though there is very little left in the field, and of setting out lights to protest the elongating darkness. So, when my friend John told me that his world had been rocked due to the discovery of brown butter ice cream, I knew that if there was any time to try such a decadence, it would be during this holiday season.


I have tried this (over the top) ice cream both with peaches I canned during the summer and with apples cooked with honey and bourbon, spices and still more butter. So great. I do think that the ice cream is best if eaten just slightly melted and within the first couple days of making it. For some reason, the pronounced butter flavor seems to dissipate with time.

Brown Butter Ice Cream

1 Cup butter
1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
1 1/2 Cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
pinch or two of kosher or crunchy sea salt

Cut butter into pieces and heat over medium high heat until golden brown (until the large bubbles have just stopped forming) The butter goes from golden to dark very quickly, so keep an eye on it.
Heat milk over medium heat. Combine egg, sugar and salt, and pour into milk. Gently heat (you don't want to cook the eggs) until mixture coats spoon- add butter. In a large bowl, measure cream. Pour egg and butter mixture though mesh strainer into cream, and cool until ready to freeze.

3 comments:

  1. Erin, I hope Antonia reads this. And makes me some. Soon.
    Hope to see you Thursday at my favorite shopping activity!

    ReplyDelete