Sunday, May 9, 2010

Three Cheers to the Full Scale Return of the Richmond Markets!

I just wanted to jump in quickly and say how nice it's been to return to the markets. The first day was a bit like a party, with so many old friends and neighbors out together. This week I was surprised by the fantastic bounty out there. One of my absolute favorite vendors, Fertile Crescent Farm, had a beautiful stand with salad greens, loads of strawberries, kale, onions, and more. They even had pints of baby yellow squash!! I walked away with so much healthy, beautiful food including broccoli from two different vendors, radishes, beets, and spinach.
For my mother's day brunch contribution I am making a simple side of strawberries with local honey and fresh pineapple mint. (This is my untested plan anyway.) I bought two types of mint plants from A Thyme to Plant herb farm.

I also talked with the folks at Blanchards Coffee. I love their 'Dark as Dark' and knew I could always get it from the special bulk bins at the Forest Hill Ukrops. Now that Martin's has officially moved in the Blanchards Coffee has been relegated to bags on the bottom shelf of the coffee isle. Hard to find even when your looking. However, the person I spoke with at Blanchards tells me that they should have some form of bulk bins back in the bakery section of the Forest Hill Martin's in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment