Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bacon Love

There were quite a few meat-tastic couple of days for this vegetarian last week. I went on both the Belmont Butchery and Brookview field trips, and I had the best time talking with the meat hawkers at each place. Strange? I don't think so, though I have noticed my vegetarianism becoming quite a hindrance to my likely life adventures. Because I won't eat meat, I will never be a food critic, nor a Peace Corps member, not to mention a Survivor cast member. Yet I loved talking with both Tanya of Belmont Butchery and Sandy and Rossie Fisher of Brookview. They all have such depth of understanding regarding the human place in the food chain, I can't help thinking that this is the way eating should go.

Sandy pulled us aside at his farm market last Saturday, willing to disseminate not only recipes to go with his meat, but advice on composting and stories about cattle breeds. He laughed when he told us that he and his wife Rossie would soon be on the cover of the Goochland phone book, (which, he laughed, "used to be about 26 pages long") and that they had recently signed over their land to agricultural conservation. Hundreds of acres of Virginia farmland are preserved thanks to them. Go out sometime- they want to tell you what they know. And go early- in winter, the eggs sell out by 10:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment