Sunday, January 27, 2008

Brookview Farm's Omega 3's Eggs

Yesterday RFC made a trip out to the beautifully bucolic Brookview Farms to check out there Saturday morning market. I think we all agree that the experience of shopping here for free range, grass fed meats and fresh eggs was ideal and we look forward to returning to the Brookview Farm market in the future. But I am here this morning just to talk about their eggs.
Brookview farms supplements their chickens organic grain diet with organic flax seed which they say produces "an egg packed with omega-3, while being lower in saturated fat and high in vitamin E, a powerful cancer-fighting antioxidant." (Brookview Farm brochure)


This morning I cracked open two Brookview Farm's eggs to make myself a tasty frittata. The eggs were quit large and the yokes were almost the color of an orange marigold. I made just enough for 1 since my husband will be eating his later with a side of Brookview Farm's uncured and nitrate free bacon...a real treat for him.

I wanted to be able to taste the eggs so I went with a milder medley then I might otherwise.
These eggs came out wonderfully and were some of the best tasting eggs I've ever had. Try them and this recipe. I Hope You love it as much as I did.
I had this with Flax seed and Oat bread, and a Fruit salad of walnuts, Granny Smith Apple, and Raisins covered in Honey from Bob Stapleton.

Shan's Breakfast Frittata
2 eggs with water whisked ( I used to measure this out by filling one half of the cracked open shell with water . A half shell of water per egg. Now I just eyeball it.)
Course Salt and Course Fresh ground Pepper to taste
4 Mushrooms, destemed and sliced
1 spring onion sliced, omitting most of the green
1tbsp goat cheese,crumbled
1tbsp butter

Turn on Broiler in oven and make sure to use a high heat, oven safe pan
Rinse and slice the mushrooms and onions
Wisk the eggs and water
Heat a non-stick pan on med heat add the butter once pan is warm enough to melt the butter
Add the mushrooms and saute for about 3min
Add the green onions and saute a another min. or two
Salt and pepper your egg mixture and wisk up again. Pour over mushroom mix in pan.
Cook eggs running wooden spoon through gently exposing more liquid to the bottom of the pan as the eggs cook.
Once eggs are about half done crumble the goat cheese on top stir it in a bit and place pan under the broiler to finish cooking from the top down. This will cook fast so just keep checking it over the next minute or two until the eggs are cooked through.

ps. I realized too late that my pan had become too hot from sauteing the mushrooms causing my eggs to cook to quickly for my usual fritata method. The recipe above would be ideal, but what I actually ate this a.m. was a very delious scramble... O well. This could be rectified by just getting the eggs off the stove top and into the oven more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment