Sunday, January 13, 2008

Garden Update- January

I know, I know. It is winter. The season of beautiful rest for the gardener. As we all know though, eating well and gardening well requires planning. So winter is a great time for- AMENDING!

Amending is an essential step in successful gardening, and a principle of responsible behavior as well- basically put back what you take out. There are many sources for soil amendments- compost, organic fertilizers, and well, manure.

I will admit, this is not my garden. It is my father's, and it is one of my favorite kitchen gardens ever. I do not have enough sun to grow vegetables in my yard, so I visit his whenever possible. So, it was not out of the ordinary to get a call from my dad yesterday, "I am at my friend's horse farm- I got the most amazing composted horse manure from him. You HAVE to come see it."

So, I did, and it was- amazing, that is.


So, we worked this wonderful, organic, nitrogen source into his soil, and put the beds to sleep for a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment