Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer Fruit Desserts

Early Summer Fruit Gallette with Creme Fraiche Ice Cream

Ok, I know that is a mouthful, but check it out:


A gallette is a rustic fruit pie without the pie pan. This dessert is a fantastic way to celebrate summer fruits. I went crazy and used blackberries, red plums, and pluots (which, ok- who named those? They are a cross between a plum and an apricot, but come on- a pluot? Certainly there is a lovelier word for this lovely fruit. I guess that is a project for another day...) I used the Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook(although the Barefoot Contessa has a recipe for this too- she calls hers a crostata- same thing) for the crust. Then, we topped it off with Creme Fraiche Ice Cream at my Aunt Cynthia's suggestion. Whooo- whee!

Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
2 Cups whipping cream
1 8 oz tub of Creme Fraiche (perhaps sour cream would work as well- give it a go)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix well and chill in ice cream maker.

Then, when that dessert was gone, I luckily ran into nectarines and blackberries at the market last Saturday. They became:
Nectarine and Blackberry Crisp with Ginger Ice Cream

I have a small (about 8x 11x 2 in) pan that I use for crisps. I like a high crisp to fruit ratio, so use more fruit if you like. Fruit cooks down, so pile it on!

I used:
1 pint (about 6) nectarines, sliced with skin
1pint blackberries

(Also, I had about 1/3 of the crisp mixture left over, so I am saving it in the freezer, you know, in case I run into some peaches or something....)

Oven to 350 degrees

Mix together until butter is well coated:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) cold butter, diced
spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg (or both)
optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Scatter generously over fruit and bake for 1 hour or until top is browned and fruit is bubbling.
Serve with:

Ginger Ice Cream

Mix together in medium sized pot over low heat (don't cook the eggs!) for about 5 minutes:
1/4 cup ginger root, peeled and chopped
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
a couple of TBS of water

Add 1 cup of milk

Let cool. Strain the mixture through a sieve into:
2 cups of whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

I put the ginger in cheesecloth, immersed it in the mix and chilled it overnight.

Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

I added about 1/4 cup sliced, crystallized ginger near the end of the freezing part.

Enjoy your summer!

3 comments:

  1. mmmm, i'm going to try some of these ice cream recipes. I have some Pennsylvania Amish raw cream and sour cream arriving at my door tomorrow!! Best sour cream ever... I'd never had non-store bought. Did you make up the ginger one yourself? Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie! I miss cooking with you! Truth be told, I was inspired to make the Ginger Ice Cream because our lovely friend Casey served it with cherry pie for our July 4th celebration. I have a standard recipe for ice cream because cream comes in a standard pint size. 1 pint cream to 1 cup milk, and no more than 1/2 cup sugar. Making up the rest is the fun part! ( you know I love the food improv...)

    Full disclosure: I have ordered an ice cream recipe book- The Perfect Scoop. I am pretty excited about that!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin,

    Where did you get your red plums?

    ReplyDelete