Thursday, March 19, 2009

Potlucks are in as the new 'out'

In my house, the month of March has officially been dubbed 'frugality month.' Following Christmas and a cavalcade of birthdays, it's time for me to get back to basics and save a little. I am happy to say I am still employed and lucky enough to be relatively unhurt by the economy, but I am somewhat inspired by the financially conservative mindset that has hit the American mainstream.

With that in mind, one of my efforts this month has been to avoid eating out. As an aspiring foodie, I admit I thoroughly enjoy sampling the vegetarian fare (yes! I'm a veggie) at restaurants around town, and as I have gotten more interested in quality ingredients and good cooking, my tastes have started to range into the expensive. It's not just expensive restaurants. No, it's that I want the full experience: appetizers, salad, white wine, dinner, red wine, dessert, and maybe dessert wine or coffee or tea. As a college student I used to go places and order a glass of water and a dinner plate, but now I find myself forking over serious cash whenever I go out. So this month, restaurants and I are on a 'break.'

In the meantime, I have managed to satisfy my desire to be 'out' on weekends, chatting with friends, soaking up a lively atmosphere, by somehow managing to attend five potlucks in the last three weeks. Gone are the days of taco dip, goulash and jello...these potlucks were absolutely delicious! I highly recommend what I would like to call the New Potluck as an economically sound alternative to the expensive night out. I want all of you to stop imagining potluck dinners as a mishmash of unidentifiable slop on a paper plate, and reenvisioning them as opportunities to celebrate food, friends and the season! Just like our famous RFC potluck parties, most of the items at these meals were in-season, characterized by late winter veggies like fennel, butternut squash, beets, and early greens.

My first potluck of the month was during my trip to the VABF conference, which yielded a mountain of food cooked by organic farmers: highlights included a sweet potato phyllo tart and a warm black bean soup. Following that I attended the Tricycle Gardens volunteer meeting, where participants brought brunch dishes to share: Nellie Appleby (TG kitchen gardener extraordinaire) had delicious pickled beets for us to try! Next was a birthday party where I ate grilled winter veggies seasoned with garlic and butter. Last weekend were two more dinners, one a fennel bonanza featuring 4 dishes including parts of the fennel plant, then an Indian food fest at Erin's, where I ate homemade chapatis, raita, curry and macaroons.

Needless to say, I have not felt the slightest craving to head out to the restaurant scene! I would love to see other members of Richmond's locavore community following this trend, maybe even going to far as to start a 'movement!' Potlucks are easy because you only have to cook one item, not a whole meal, and they are also a great way to share ideas on how to make the most of the limited late winter/early spring options for fresh vegetables. Remember to give your events that sustainable touch by asking participants to bring their own fork and plate or by supplying people with compostable goods from a company like Green Duck (see post below!). Anyway, I hope you plan your own potluck soon...and if you do, be sure to invite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment