Monday, July 12, 2010

The Joy of June Apples

Cindy Clark, one of the vendors at the Farmers Market at St. Stephen's, (she and her family run Greenway Beef- a grass fed beef farm) and one of the most generous folks I know, (she is also a nurse for transplant patients) surprised me a couple of weekends ago with a whole bag of June apples. June apples are tart- the sugars have not fully developed in the fruit. So, with that in mind, what to make with such a wonderful mid summer gift?

As luck would have it, I had just finished the chapter on Tarte Tatin in Molly Weisenburg's (aka Orangette) book, A Homemade Life. This confluence coincided nicely with supper plans I had made with my dear friend Susan, (a gift of any kind should be shared) and so voila- here is my recommended recipe for Tarte Tatin (aux Pommes Juin).



1 comment:

  1. So happy to have found your article. We have a June apple tree on our family farm and I love those little guys.

    If you get a lot of them, they make great applesauce too.

    ReplyDelete