Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Time

I got a new camera for my birthday. It's just a point and shoot, but it's light years ahead of the 7 year old 3 mega pixel antique we did have. So you may be seeing a good deal more photographs on this blog. I'll try to keep with the food theme, but I couldn't help myself on posting some of these summer photos. Hopefully they set just the mood for backyard barbecues, picnics on the lawn, or pool side potlucks.






This is one of my main swimming spots. It's just an above ground pool, but I find that comes in handy when it's so hot you want to take your entire meal in there! Too bad the hose snuck in this one. Also, being a new camera I had turned on the date feature and never figured out a way to get the stupid thing off the picture.




This is one view from inside said pool. If it looks nice and cool that's 'cause this was taken at 7:30 in the morning at the end of those amazingly cool three days we had before the fourth.



When it's not 105 degrees, summer time means outdoor eating, and eating foods that require grilling or even no cooking at all. Here's a meal I had this week of our grilled potatoes, drunken applesauce, beet salad, potato salad, and greek style salad.My glass of wine just hadn't made it to the table yet. All but the potatoes were leftovers, including the ribs my husband had prepared for himself. That was very nice.


I love all the colors and amazing abundance at the markets this time of year. Those favorite summer time treats that you've been waiting for all year are suddenly piled high. One of the exceptions is eggs. The chickens get broody and produce a lot less. I missed on eggs one week. Showed up just as the market opened the next, and got the last carton from my favorite egg vendor.



Lately, when I'm not buying, cooking, or eating food I'm watering. It can be an all day affair, at work and at home. In this picture of my yard even the summer sun looks inviting. I love the way these old pines can make me feel as though I am somewhere where the air is cooler.





Wax beans and mustard greens... you have to look hard to fine the mustard greens. We had some 2 or 3 year old wax bean seeds and figured only a small percentage would germinate. Instead they all did, and we've had a morning harvesting ritual for the last month.




Just for fun, here's a glimpse of what my dog Elwood does when he wants me to put down the camera, recipe book or the garden hose and pick up the Frisbee.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new camera. A point and shoot can still take amazing pictures, so have fun. If you take any pictures of the local farmers markets, please consider posting them to
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rvafarmersmarket/

    I am collecting photos of the local markets and all of the goodness that can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there...Thanks pink. I will make a point of gathering up some of my market picks and posting them. I'll have to check out your farmer's market page!

    ReplyDelete