Monday, June 28, 2010

Recommended Reading... The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms

Amy Stewart's 2004 The Earth Moved is an eye opening, engrossing tribute to the lowly earthworm. I have read more than a few books that deal with soil life and worms. I have two worm bins, and care for my worms with the concern of caring pet owner. However, Stewart's book taught me that I still have much to learn. Leaning heavily on the years Charles Darwin spent researching and writing about earthworms, as well as interviews with some of today's top researchers, and academics on the subject The Earth Moved covers a lot of ground. At the same time Stewart's writing caries enough of a personal perspective and voice to make it a completely absorbing and entertaining read. To my mind this is one of those works that everyone should read whether they have not ever given worms the slightest thought or already believe they know all they need to know on the subject. With over forty rave reviews lining the first three pages of the book, there seems to be some consensus.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the 70s, folks would make mincemeat for pies out earthworms.

    ReplyDelete