Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Adventures in "condimenting"

I did it! I created mayonnaise!

Or I made some at least!

Forgive the dark pictures, but this was a night-time activity. I actually had a friend visiting from out of town so I put him to work as a taster last night at 10:00 pm (he's good people).

This recipe that my friend found on Vegan Epicurious was outrageously easy to follow (which was exactly what I needed to attempt it at night and, ahem, after a few beers!).

I gathered my ingredients and got started.

I might not have needed the ducky and the baby monitor, but I thought they were a nice homey touch!

Ingredients:

½ cup of soy milk, plain and preferably unsweetened
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of canola oil
¼ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon of agave
¾ teaspoon of kosher salt
½ tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
zest from 1/8 of an organic lemon
1/8 teaspoon of dry mustard

Again, this recipe really was easy. All I did was pour the ingredients right into the blender. I mixed, I blended, I liquified . . . I achieved mayonnaise!

But, alas, I thought it was too salty and a bit sweet (even though the soy milk was unsweetened and I only added the tiniest bit of agave).

When I make this again, I will wait to add the agave until after I mix it up and taste it. Some people might like a slight bit of sweetness, but I tend to not like that so much. And I will add MUCH less salt.

Everything turned out great in the end though. I was still worried about it, but after a bit more tweaking (and the adding of my best friend, garlic) we deemed it an acceptable and tasty first effort!

What about you guys? Did anyone get a bit more fancy with your mayo-making? Recipes please!!

No comments:

Post a Comment