Thursday, September 4, 2008

I heart Pomegranates.


Don't you? The fruit is so amazingly gorgeous, and the flowers are even prettier. I had always assumed Pomegranates were delicate and tropical, something I would have to sacrifice in my quest to make my carbon footprint smaller. That is until I saw them growing at Lewis Ginter. How amazing that we can grow something so exotic right here, in zone 7!

Last weekend, I bought a dwarf pomegranate tree at the market from extraordinary plantsman, John Wise. My tree will only grow to be six feet tall, with perfectly edible fruit- ideal for an urban gardener. I am now looking to turn the space in front of my house between the sidewalk and the street into an edible perennial bed- Asparagus, blueberries and pomegranates. I have been further inspired by this week's Edible Landscaping newsletter article on Unusual Edible Berries.

So much to love...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comment. I was planning on buying Wonderful pomegranate but wasn't sure if I can do so. Your article was very helpful. I will also group blueberries and the pomegranate as they both love acidic soil. great idea!!

    Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete