Friday, June 24, 2011

Pulled From The Pepper Pot!

June 5th Radishes
Some weeks back I did a vegetable garden update where I mentioned I was experimenting with growing the open space loving radish in a 10" x 10"  pot with a jalapeno pepper plant.   I was so happy with the results!  I got about seven perfectly formed french breakfast, and watermelon radishes from each of the two pots. Just this morning I plucked the last two watermelon radishes, which grow long and fat and push themselves way up above the soil line.  Alternating varieties I dropped the seeds in a circle a few inches apart, and midway between the edge of the pepper plants root ball and the edge of the pot. Those seeds went in the day I planted the peppers.  Now the time for space sharing is over, and those pots are crowded with the roots of my pepper plants. So pleased with my tiny piece of success I now  need to figure out the best way to deal with the hordes of leaf hoppers devouring my sad looking basil plants, sage, and parsley.... not to mention the soil in those other pots that wont grow a thing! I guess keeping man a bit humble is another important function of the garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment