Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things...

I will admit that I have not been taking as much pleasure in grocery shopping as I used to. Maybe this is because I have less time to spend at the grocery, which makes shopping more of a chore these days. Maybe it is because I was spoiled by the variety of fresh foods at the markets last season. Anyway, I am trying to get out of that myopic, all business habit at the store and enjoy it a little more. Lucky for me, Richmonders have become quite industrious in the food realm. Take Zaydies Granola for example. Mother and daugther Janice and Shelley Freed have started quite a business with their "naturally delicious and not too sweet" granola. I was lucky enough to try their Cranberry and Walnut, and well as the Blueberry and Almond Granolas, and they are both amazing. The fruit is dried but not hard, and the cereal is well spiced- you won't even miss the sugar. Zaydies is available in generous sizes at Ellwood Thompson's now, and will be at several area markets next season.

I also discovered that my favorite coffee in the world, Blanchard's, is now available at Ellwood Thompson's. My favorites are the espresso blend and the Dark as Dark. The Blanchards know what they are doing, and we are lucky to have them. They have a shop on Forest Hill Avenue, and they'll make you a darned good latte there.

You know who else makes me gush? I know that Shannon mentioned Chocolate Cravings in a recent post, but this is worth mentioning again. In fact, this vendor is known to all of my friends as 'The Chocolate Lady', because really there is no other. Aside from her imaginative combinations, (my favorites are ginger and cardamom and sea salt with almond, though I have also tried jalapeno with cinnamon. Yes, IN the chocolate!) the chocolate she makes is the best I have ever had. No hyperbole- it is the best. Her chocolates are available at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Shop, and will be at various markets next season.

Hope you make some fun and tasty discoveries on your next trip to the store. Maybe you'll be inspired to share them with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment