Monday, July 5, 2010

Shannon's Potato Salad

I have never before in my thirty six years made a potato salad. Yesterday I had a bag of mixed potatoes, red, white, and blue and a July fourth potluck to cook for and I thought... potato salad. I only knew I didn't want the strait up mayo and sweet relish stuff that I find rather dull. I looked at several recipes, including Orangette's, and wasn't happy with any of them. Then Matt found one on All Recipes.com called The Best Potato Salad. I figured that must be good, and it has tons of great reviews. Of course I had to change it up. People really seemed to love the result. Thanks guys! For all those who tried mine yesterday, and would want to duplicate the salad the way I made it here's what I did....

Note...You need to start making this salad a good 41/2 to 5 hours before serving.
Ingredients:
6eggs
Enough potatoes to approximate 10 large red potatoes ( a large red potato being about the size of a small russet potato)
1/2 cup Dukes Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Fage' Greek yogurt 0%
1/2 Marzetti ranch dressing (It is in the refrigerated section of the grocery, due to lack of preservatives)
1/3 cup dill pickle relish
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp mild paprika
1/8-1/4 tsp celery salt ( a mix of celery seed and salt)
1/2 of one large Vidalla onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup pepperoncini, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dried dill
8 (approximate) Krinos Green Olives... these are in a pepperoncini brine and have to be pitted, but seemed the best choice to me... although the Jalapeno stuffed olives would be good as well I bet.
Sea Salt to taste (After, making the salad and letting it sit for two hours, I tasted it and added the salt. I would not start of by salting it until the flavors have had a chance to meld together. The ranch dressing, olives, pepperoncini, and dill relish all introduce a fair amount of salt on their own.

So I added some things, omitted somethings and doubled somethings from the recipe I found on AllRecipes. I omitted the 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard, but might try that in the future. I switched the olives from the canned, presliced black olives called for to the, spicy green olives I had to cut up 'fresh,' but good black olives might also be tasty.

Directions:
1. Put eggs in saucepan in a single and cover with water so that the water level is about an inch over the top of the eggs. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Immediately remove pan from the heat and let eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Peel and chop the eggs once the potatoes have also cooled and are ready to chop.
2. Fill large pot with water, add whole potatoes, a good dash of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until easily pierced with a fork to the center (tender, but not mushy) about 15-20 minutes. For my dish I added the large reds and then added the smaller blues and whites five minutes later. Drain and refrigerate until cold. It takes longer than you might think for them to cool, approximately one hour. Also, using organic potatoes, I did not peal the potatoes, but left all the skins on for color, flavor, and nutrients.
3. While the potatoes and eggs are cooking stir together the mayo, Greek yogurt, ranch dressing, relish, and all herbs and spices. Keep covered in fridge until potatoes and eggs are cooled and chopped. When every thing's ready mixed it all together in a large bowl. Chop and add in the onion, pepperocini, and olives. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment