Sunday, June 22, 2008

Flowers as Food, Food as Flowers

I am lucky enough to work with flowers, my first love, every day. So, it is a natural evolution to bring flowers to the table, and not just as a centerpiece. Flowers are an essential element to any vegetable garden as they attract pollinators, as well as making your garden a beautiful place to be. This weekend I harvested several types of edible flowers for a dinner party, and while we used them as garnish primarily, I recommend that you taste them. Aside from being a beautiful addition to your plate, these flowers are really flavorful and often beneficially medicinal.



On the left, there are Nasturtiums. Nasturtiums flowers are a bit spicy and really beautiful. Next, are Dill flowers which are so fun. They taste a whole lot like, well, like dill. Pictured in the next bowl is a Calendula blossom, which has been used in place of saffron. The Shunkigu is related to the Chrysanthemum, and has a light and tangy flavor. Pictured on the far right are Borage flowers, which taste a lot like cucumbers. I also served lavender flowers with the Blueberry and meringue dessert. Mmmm...Hmmm....


Then, at the market on Saturday, I got all excited when I saw leaves from Harlequin Corn (also called Japonica Striped Maize by Seed Savers )in the bouquets at Amy's Garden stand. Amy is always using herbs like basil in bouquets, and I really appreciate someone who really recognizes the beauty of the plant itself.

Here is a photo of my amazing new bouquet, from behind.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this post. my nasturtium went to town, then decided to call in sick during the heat wave. but my borage started flowering this week! i am in love with this plant now.

    my calendula also started blooming this week. i am going to wait a bit before tasting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers are the supreme creation of God. They are considered to be one of the most magnificent things that He has created.

    ReplyDelete