Saturday, February 25, 2012

It is time!

Finally!  We get to plant!  
Fennel seed
This weekend I will plant my peas outside, and start the fennel seed in pots on the windowsill.  
Peas, fennel, carrots, lettuce and cilantro- a garden in potential
The lettuce, cilantro and carrots will go directly in the ground sometime in the next couple of months.  I will have to work around the garlic that will stay put until June, and the carrots that didn't get harvested last year will flower and make seeds for next year.  I have a feeling my veggie garden is going to look more like a wildflower meadow than a proper kitchen garden.  That's alright- I will leave the tomato, eggplant and pepper growing to those without squirrels to contend with, and buy those fruits at the market.   My garden may instead become a food source for butterflies (swallowtails lay their eggs exclusively on members of the Umbelliferae family like fennel and carrot) and birds (there will be sunflowers come summer) and for me- I love big ol' fresh salads for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment