Wednesday, October 26, 2011

black radish delights (with a side of fame!)

In our latest "red box" we got beautiful black radishes.  After using them to cover polenta for our Food Day gathering (more on that to come from Casey!), I decided to make a delicious radish pizza for dinner the other night.

First I gathered up my ingredients (strategically covering my dirty stove with a cutting board, so fancy!)
I was feeling all excited about potato pizza after Rachel's post, but I actually ended up substituting mushrooms.  Oh, and I added some onion.  Also, I got brave and used the hot sauce I made the other day.  I have to say that we have been using it like gangbusters at our house as of late.  It mellowed a bit (still super hot though) and now I can't get enough!  All that to say, the true ingredient list (picture notwithstanding!) should look like this:
  • black radishes, natch
  • garlic
  • hot peppers (which I seeded, based on past experience!)
  • pre-made pizza dough
  • olive oil
  • onion 
  • mushrooms 
  • hot sauce 
I chopped up the garlic, sliced the onion and the radishes, cut the peppers into strips and seeded them, cut the mushrooms and sauteed everything until the radishes were almost clear.  I always add the mushrooms towards the end so they don't get overcooked and I added the hot sauce a bit later as well.

Then it was a matter of rolling out the dough on my pizza stone, spreading my goodies on the dough and popping it all in the oven.

 So good!  I can't get over how amazing the radishes were.  And for a night when we really didn't feel like we had the "right" toppings for pizza, it worked out right nice.
Anybody else done anything fine with our best friend pizza lately?  I just never seem to get tired of finding new ways to make it delicious!

P.S.  I had the thrill of being interviewed by a new "cyber friend" recently about being a vegan mom.  She talked to a lot of interesting people and I was really honored to be a part of it.  Check it out if you can (she said shyly).

5 comments:

  1. Nice, Cat! Interesting article on vegetarian parenting- and great ideas for pizzas as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, can you please tell me about radishes? I love so many veggies, but radishes continue to confound me. I'm one of those "tasters", so bitterness gets to me fast.

    (Though I'm in training. My husband keeps brewing IPAs and such... )

    Do they mellow when roasted/sauteed first? The peppery bite when raw initially makes my nose wrinkle... and that's just not a good look for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Megan,

    I totally hear you (although I think nose wrinkling is precious!). They mellow out SO much when cooked. I have been putting all my radishes on the grill (wrapping in tin foil with a bit of oil and salt) and all their sweetness bursts forth with little to no bitterness. Let me know if you try it!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soon as we get an reprieve from autumn (which with my luck will be an 80 degree day of the half marathon), I'll break out the grill. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete