Tuesday, October 4, 2011

'Tis the season for soups

When I walked into Sallie's kitchen the other day, I was drawn to the warmth and comfort coming from the three large pots simmering on her stove.
She was making a beef stew, which after simmering for a long while, was thickening up nicely. Every once in a while, Sal would replenish the lost liquid with the beef stock (bones with marrow, shiitake stems and salt) she had going in another pot. Her beef stew looked so substantial- like a full meal on its own- beef cubes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes and red wine. And, don't forget that nourishing broth.
The third pot held the beginnings of chicken broth- chicken pieces, fennel and salt- to be frozen and used later for healing soups during cold season, or flavoring base for risotto.
Broths and stocks are so absurdly easy to make. Just add your veggies, herbs and/ or meat, cover with water and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. You can find Shannon's recipe for chicken or turkey stock here, and my method for making veggie broth here. Enjoy soup season, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to soups! I might just have to whip one up this weekend!

    E.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted that I was making soup on facebook over the weekend, and no fewer that SEVEN people piped up with their plan for soup-making that very day. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's soup weather for sure! I did a quick miso soup the other day with local mushroom the other day. SO easy, comforting, and tasty!

    ReplyDelete