Friday, October 28, 2011

German Apple Cake - Vegan and Fabulous

I like to have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to offer sweets to the vegans in my life. This German Apple Cake recipe is a great one to know. It is tasty and the recipe is forgiving. It comes from a favorite cookbook of mine, "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau of Compassion Cooks. This cookbook is so approachable. And, like all of my favorite cookbooks, it gives you more than a list of recipes, it provides information about ingredients and technique. For instance, she gives you options for egg re-placers (bananas, flaxseed, applesauce), milk choices, and cooking tips to accompany most recipes. This book is tasty, pretty, and fun.

I've used the recipe as "framework" many times, meaning I've altered the recipe when my pantry contents didn't extactly match the recipe. And, like I said, if you pick-up the book, Colleen will walk through a lot substitute options.

What you'll need:
3 to 4 apples, peeled and cut into slices
1/2 cup non-dairy butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

For the topping: 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark), 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 of ginger

Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.

Peal and slice your apples
3 to 4, depending on size

Cook the apples in a bit of water on the stove, until soft but not mushy. Set aside. I've added a squeeze of lemon, but it is not necessary.


Combine your sugar n' butter.

Mix it up.

Add your 1/2 cup applesauce & non-dairy milk
hint: 1/2 cup of applesauce about the size of a individual sized container of applesauce.
hint hint: the mixture will not look fully integrated until you add the flour,

so you can expect it to look a bit broken.



Combine your flour and baking powder in a small bowl and slowly add to the wet mixture.
All mixed up. It should be thick, thicker feeling than muffin batter.

Spread the batter evenly on the bottom of the pan.
Now you are ready to arrange your apples.
I tend to do this more "organically"
finding
myself without the temperament to create
patterned design.

Add sugar, cinnamon, ginger topping and bake for 30 - 40 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Enjoy! This is great with ice cream or
a cup of tea.

3 comments:

  1. That is just so gorgeous! I may need a sample again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was quite good Rachel! Thanks for sharing... how much "butter"? Is it 1/2 cup...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohppps! It is! Sorry I missed that - I updated the post to fix that...thanks Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete