Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ceaser is a Cinch! (Veg. Ceaser Dressing)


A few weeks ago we were hurting for dinner options, we had a few leftovers, and some stuff for salad.  We always make our own dressing, usually a simple balsamic, with a few other fancier rotations, but I got it in my head I wanted Caesar.  Having never made a Caesar dressing before I was truly taken aback by the ease of a nice Caesar.  Now, perhaps I should say Caesar style dressing as my version substitutes capers for the anchovies, and leaves out the raw egg yolk.  It's delicious, its quick and easy and you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen already.
This vegetarian version  is based on the one provided by Alice Waters in The Art of Simple Food. Having made this a few times now I've learned a couple things...like it can't sit for too long or the oil will separate.  Mostly though I love how simple and easy this classic is to enjoy at home with out relying on some mystery ingredient store bought dressing.  I used capers because we had them handy and we really loved the way they worked.  It's nice to have those recipe staples in your pocket that allow you to be spontaneous.  Got leftover chicken, shrimp, leaf lettuce instead of romaine, mushrooms, sweet red peppers?  Roll with it, and enjoy.
For Salad
Brush a couple 1" thick slices of crusty white bread with olive oil and toss on grill, or cut into cubes, toss with oil to coat and bake on a cookie sheet  in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Tear up or Chop one washed head romaine lettuce

 Dressing
First, combine in a small food processor...
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2-3 garlic cloves
2 rounded teaspoons capers
pinch of salt (optional)
 Fresh Ground pepper

Close to Serving slowly pour in
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, blending constantly till emulsified ( My food processor has two tiny holes in the top of the lid that allow for the perfect amount of oil to travel trough while blending.)Constant blending while slowly adding the oil is key. 
Then  blend in most of 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese finely grated, saving a small amount for garnish. 

4 comments:

  1. YUM! Girl, that sounds amazing. Going to try this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second that! that looks yummy! just in time too, we are looking a lettuce harvests from our garden over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing better than a good Caesar salad! Which reminds me my romaine in the garden is ready!

    E.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesomesauce! I have to try this. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete